Tuesday, December 04, 2007

A Parent's View of Autism in Columbia, Missouri

"I want him. I want him to be able to tell his mom that he loves her. It's more than a full time job, it is a hundred hour a week job. And she does it without fail. There is nothing more important to her than that kid..and there is nothing more important to him than her. But he can't say it. It's hard."

-
Tim Miles, Father

"I want him to go to a birthday party and not scream and cry when they say happy birthday and want to blow out the candles. And be interested in his birthday presents. I love Will's quirks. I love that he is obsessed with automatic doors. We make fun little games of all these things. I'm ok with Will not being like every other child. I would love to have a conversation with him. I would love for him to say, 'Mom I want a turkey sandwich today.' I want him to notice what is around him. I want him to be able to say, 'I love you,' to me to his grandparents to his Dad, give us kisses and hugs. That is what I want more than anything."

- Deidre Miles, Mother


In A Parent's View of Autism Tim and Diedre Miles of Columbia, Missouri provide their views of autism, the views of parents of an autistic boy. Their son Will was diagnosed with autism at 14 months and they have worked with diet and occupational therapy in an ongoing effort help their son. The Miles' story is part of KOMU TV8 in Columbia Missouri's Combating Autism From Within blog series.

No comments: