Sunday, December 09, 2007

Autism Christmas Gift From The Grinch



We have an evening routine in our house.

At 9 pm I say, or holler if necessary , "TV Off", and Conor will run from wherever he is in the house to turn off the TV, wash, brush teeth and get in bed. (If the TV is not on, I turn it on so Conor can come in and turn it off). Routine is important for any child, especially one with autism, or at least with Conor. Sticking to routine has helped keep Conor's sleep disrupted nights (and mine) to a minimum.

Last night we abandoned the routine because at 9 pm (Atlantic) Ron Howard's movie version of Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas was on television. It had already been a good night for Conor. We had done a lot of computer print offs from the PBS Kids web site and it was quiet in the house with his brother and mother off to see the Theatre New Brunswick production of A Christmas Carol. Conor sat down on the couch and watched the entire Grinch movie with Dad.

Conor watched the entire movie, relaxed, and with focused attention. He laughed numerous times throughout. (Often when the Grinch (Jim Carrey) made one of his incredible facial contortions). For me, it was a joy to be able to watch an entire movie with Conor, with him clearly following the whole movie, and enjoying it so much.

Thank you Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel), Ron Howard, Jim Carrey, Taylor Momsen (Cindy Lou Who), Jeffrey Tambor (Mayor Augustus Maywho), Christine Baranski (Martha May Whovier) and the rest of the cast and excellent crew.

Thank you for a wonderful Christmas gift.

1 comment:

jypsy said...

One of my favourite memories of this time of year is remembering my own (late) Dad's enjoyment in watching me, as a child, watching the original, animated, Grinch (It first aired when I was 6). We watched it together every year until, in my late teens, I moved out. We probably watched it after that as well on the occasions I returned to New Brunswick for Christmas with my own kids.