Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Andy Scott Speaks On Autism In House of Commons



Fredericton MP Andy Scott continued his efforts on behalf of persons with autism with this statement in the House of Commons yesterday, June 5, 2007.

Autism

[Table of Contents]

Hon. Andy Scott (Fredericton, Lib.):

Mr. Speaker, it is regrettable that we have seen little action by the government toward implementing a national autism strategy.

It has been more than a year since I introduced Motion No. 172. My private member's motion called for evidence based standards, innovative funding arrangements for diagnosis, treatment and research, and a national surveillance program.

The motion was adopted in good faith and supported by the government. However, it was very disappointing to see no reference to a national autism strategy in the recent budget or any discussion this spring.

Recently, I joined my colleagues from Charlottetown and Sackville—Eastern Shore and Senator Munson at a rally in Halifax that reinforced that there are families with autistic children across Canada who need the government's help.

The Conservatives should move off their default position of jurisdictional excuses, show creativity and compassion and start helping these Canadians.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Andy,

I've spent the cash on a couple of used Leopard tanks and a new fashion consultant... no cash left for the kids... off to Vancouver I go for a few matinis with my pal Gordo after which I think we will take the Beamer out for a spin.

All the Best,


Faux-StephenJosephHarper