Friday, June 12, 2009

The Disappearing Male: A Very Disturbing CBC Documentary

Last evening I watched a very disturbing documentary on CBC about the harmful impact on children, particularly male children, of common chemicals. It is a documentary that I believe everyone should view. As summarized on the CBC website at The Disappearing Male:

"The last few decades have seen steady and dramatic increases in the incidence of boys and young men suffering from genital deformities, low sperm count, sperm abnormalities and testicular cancer.

At the same time, boys are now far more at risk of suffering from ADHD, autism, Tourette's syndrome, cerebral palsy, and dyslexia.

The Disappearing Male takes a close and disturbing look at what many doctors and researchers now suspect are responsible for many of these problems: a class of common chemicals that are ubiquitous in our world.

Found in everything from shampoo, sunglasses, meat and dairy products, carpet, cosmetics and baby bottles, they are called "hormone mimicking" or "endocrine disrupting" chemicals and they may be starting to damage the most basic building blocks of human development."

The video can be viewed on the CBC web site:

The Disappearing Male: Trailer

The Disappearing Male: Entire Documentary

As stated, I found this documentary very disturbing and I offer no other comment than to suggest that everyone view this documentary.




Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

navywifeandmom said...

I watched the whole thing. Thanks for the link.

A friend of mine told me about this a few years back when I lived in Hawaii; that she had read somewhere that baby boys are being born with smaller penises and genital issues, such as hypospadias, where the urinary opening is in the wrong spot.

One thing I have also noticed is that girls are reaching puberty way sooner than they used to. My oldest is eight and some of her schoolmates have breast development already; I was shocked when I recently attended a birthday party for one of her friends just how much older than eight some of these girls looked to be.

I wish the medical community would take more of an interest in what the heck is happening to this generation of kids; why are they so sick as a whole. Not just in terms of autism, but all these other conditions and diseases that are popping up so frequently.

Anonymous said...

Yes, our children are our proof for abnormal hormone development, the more our world "develops". We definitely stay away from certain plastics, shampoos, milk, hormones in our food, soy (I WON'T FEED ESTROGEN TO MY SONS OR DAUGHTER), etc... Wish I realized this sooner, but hormones are everywhere they shouldn't be these days.