Public authorities begin to acknowledge the extent of the autism crisis and the role of environmental factors.
1) In an historical development IACC director Dr. Tom Insel acknowledged that environmental factors are a component of autism.
2) The CDC estimated that between about 1 in 80 and 1 in 240, with an average of 1 in 110, children in the United States have an Autism Spectrum Disorder.
3) The CDC estimated that 29.3 to 51.2% of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders also had an Intellectual Disability. (That estimate itself misleads by including Aspergers with Autistic Disorder in estimating ID prevalence "on the spectrum"). The percentage of persons wih Autistic Disorder and Intellectual Disability is approximately 75-80%.
4) Autistic Children continue to wander from their homes, some to perish as did young James Delorey of Nova Scotia. The autistic Nova Scotia boy left his home prior to the onset of a bad winter storm. Although he survived the storm initially, he suffered extreme hypothermia and died shortly there after.
5) US President Barack Obama nominated to a national disability council a young University student with Aspergers Disorder who has held conflicting and ambiguous views on whether autism disorders are disabilities, has opposed curing autism and has organized protests of events held to raise funds to benefit autistic children including funds for autism research.
6) The Mainstream Media fawned over the anti-autism cure University student with Aspergers, and promoted his agenda, while failing to note that the protests he organized drew only a handful of protestors and that some other persons with Autism Spectrum Disorders disagreed with his anti-cure positions. The same mainstream media failed to note that families trying to cure their own autistic children, many of whom are much more severely affect by Autistic Disorder and Intellectual Disability than the anti-cure University student with Aspergers, are trying to help their children live the fullest, most rewarding lives possible.autism